North State Tech Lab at HQ Greensboro combines a six-week virtual bootcamp with one-on-one coaching, a supportive network and a free 10-week resident membership at HQ. We dig into topics that are specific to social impact entrepreneurs, business skills and strategies for sustainability and growth.
a LIKE-MINDED COMMUNITY OF ENTREPRENEURIAL CHANGEMAKERS
We’re building an engaged network of entrepreneurs, experts and champions who share knowledge, business connections and passion for positive social impact.
BUILDING BUSINESSES AROUND INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
We tap into business experts and seasoned entrepreneurs to support innovative solutions with a foundation of sustainable business models, solid business skills and using technology to grow.
TACKLING THE MOST DIFFICULT PROBLEMS
Entrepreneurs are energized by solving problems that challenge us locally and globally from environmental sustainability to better education, health and economic opportunity.
Meet these northstate tech lab changemakers
Since 2015, 70% of disadvantaged students in Guilford County Schools have scored too low on ACT tests to be eligible to apply to colleges in the UNC System. Breakthrough Education bridges the opportunity gap by equipping all students with the tools necessary to forge a post-secondary path of their choosing and a comprehensive understanding of their career possibilities.
Inspire in You
50% of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin by age 14 and 75% begin by age 24. The InspireInYou app is designed for students and young adults in these vulnerable years. It is an on-demand audio streaming platform that students like to use that provides 24/7, anonymous and low cost access to contextual health content and counseling.
Dignity Housing Co.
Dignity Housing provides innovative and affordable housing solutions with access to wrap-around programs and services designed to alleviate homelessness and the lack of affordable housing.
Who should apply?We're looking for entrepreneurial changemakers! The Summer 2020 Tech Lab is designed for entrepreneurs, startups and companies who are:
1) Building their business to make a direct and positive impact on society and their community.
2) Operational, with revenue. Well-developed idea-stage or soon-to-launch social startups are also eligible on a case-by-case basis.
3) Driven by customer revenue (vs. funded primarily by grants). Tech Lab companies are predominantly for-profit companies but non-profit companies/hybrids that operate as a business are also encouraged to apply.
4) Using (or planning to use) technology to create, support or scale better solutions to social problems. Companies do not need to be in the technology industry.
5) Committed to moving their business and mission forward and to helping their cohort peers to do the same.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are applications due?
Application accepted on a space-available basis.
What is My time commitment?
The Summer 2020 cohort will meet every Monday night for six weeks (July 13-August 17) from 5:30-7:30pm and includes a light supper. Coaching sessions are arranged as needed, based on each participant’s schedule. Participants are encouraged to dedicate time outside classes to build on and apply the insights and information they have learned.
Participants are also expected to participate in these NorthState Tech Lab events that take place outside the weekly sessions:
- Launch Event and HQ Orientation: July 8, 5pm
- Midway Meet and Greet Lunch with NorthState: July 27 (time TBD)
- Closing Event/Pitches: August 25 (lunchtime), August 26 (evening)
What will be covered in the program?
What benefits will i receive as a participant?
Who can participate?
We’re looking for entrepreneurial changemakers! The Summer 2020 Tech Lab is designed for entrepreneurs, startups and companies who are:
- Building their business to make a direct and positive impact on society and their community.
- Operational, with revenue. Well-developed idea-stage or soon-to-launch social startups are also eligible on a case-by-case basis.
- Driven by customer revenue (vs. funded primarily by grants). Tech Lab companies are predominantly for-profit companies but non-profit companies/hybrids that operate as a business are also encouraged to apply.
- Using (or planning to use) technology to create, support or scale better solutions to social problems. Companies do not need to be in the technology industry.
- Committed to moving their business and mission forward and to helping their cohort peers to do the same.
What is the schedule for the summer 2020 northstate tech lab?
how do i apply?
Complete and submit the application HERE. Applications are being accepted on a space-available basis.
Still have questions?
Contact us at 336-365-1043 or email@example.com.
Rise and Flow
I whole-heartedly recommend this program to mission-based entrepreneurs who are preparing to expand into new markets. The sessions were great, as are the relationships I made with other like-minded entrepreneurs. It means a lot to know I am not on this journey alone.
Dignity Housing Co
Tech Lab helped us evaluate our business model and revenue streams that helped us make adjustments for clarity and new opportunities. We made important connections for ongoing and future collaborations through this program.
Enkhnasan Enkhbold and Matt Killian
The one-on-one coaching and pitch preparation were very valuable to us. Throughout the program, Tech Lab encouraged self-reflection as we refined our business. We were able to create a strong brand and vision.
I loved the sessions where we worked through real world issues related to our businesses. The connections I made with fellow cohort members, speakers and Tech Lab were priceless. The people made it an awesome experience.
I was impressed not only with the diverse group in our cohort, but with the opportunities to meet folks with a wide and relevant range of expertise who have been very helpful to us.
This program gave me the opportunity and drive to filter through my plans and deeply explore new ideas I had for my business. I have a better understanding of what it takes for a business to be transformed into a more effective and impactful force in the community.
I really value the interactions with my fellow participants and the relationships we built. Insights from the guest speakers and frequent coaching sessions along with HQ membership and the dedicated workspace made for an extremely productive 8 weeks.
Across the nation and here in North Carolina’s Piedmont Triad, entrepreneurs are driving future economic success and community vitality. They bring innovative ideas to the marketplace, provide new solutions to problems, and create new jobs that attract and retain talent. They infuse our region with their creative approach, passion and ideas.
That is why, in 2018, NorthState and HQ Greensboro partnered to launch the NorthState Tech Lab—a six-week, no cost boot camp with a two-month resident membership at HQ Greensboro. Since then, the program has served 16 startups with great success. In 2019, the NorthState Tech Lab directed its focus to socially conscious, for-profit companies who are building their businesses to make a positive social impact locally. Learn more about the companies who have been through the program below!
NORTHSTATE TECH LAB IN THE NEWS
- Fall Program to Begin at NorthState Tech Lab at HQ Greensboro | October 3, 2019, YES! Weekly
- Local coffee business paying it forward | August 9, 2019, Fox8
- Incubators, accelerators offer Triad startups two scarce resources – money and time | October 19, 2018, Triad Business Journal
- Charging ahead: 123 years later, NorthState continues to build its identity and its legacy | February 22, 2018, Triad Business Journal
- First classes begin at NorthState Tech Lab at HQ Greensboro | January 19, 2018, YES! Weekly
- New NorthState Tech Lab at HQ Greensboro picks first 4 startups | January 17, 2018, WRAL TechWire
- HQ Raleigh, Centerline Digital open new space; HQ Greensboro names exec director, partners with NorthState for tech lab | December 7, 2017, WRAL TechWire
- How the NorthState Tech lab plans take startups to the ‘next level’ | December 6, 2017, Triad Business Journal
- NorthState, HQ Greensboro launch program for Triad startups | December 5, 2017, Triad Business Journal